Friday, September 30, 2011

My Mind is in the Gutter

Well, on the house rain gutters anyway*. We've had over ten inches of rain in September whereas the norm is closer to three. Our son's "cave" in the cellar got wet, and anyone whose basement has flooded knows what a pain and expense that can be.

So, after I put away the box fans & Lysol cans, I called a gutter man.

He works for a building company we have dealt with before and I know it won't turn into one of these fiascos. The company is headquartered right on the flower-planted edge of Amish country, and most who work there are either Mennonite or Go-to-church-on-Sunday-AND-Wednesday Night kinda folks. They've put on roofs for us, consulted with us on design work, and have proved themselves not to be dolts. Rare as hen's teeth, in my experience.

The estimator who came to my door looked to be about my son's age; it was all I could do not to reach out and grab a lovely pinch of that fair rosy cheek and give it a tweak. His last name is "Stoltfus", which in USA terms is equivalent to "Doe". (I've never ever met a Doe though, have you?) Driving around the back roads, we see a whole lot of Stoltfus's on mailboxes. How does the postman know which Stoltfus is which?

Soon, I'll be able to take my mind OUT of the gutter and back onto more meaningful things, like; will I ever fit into my ancient pre-pregnancy jeans or should I just throw them out now & be done with it?

I have been making it to the gym regularly, which cancels out that glass or two of healthy red wine (wink, wink;) I've started having occasionally.
 I got a flu shot for the first time ever.
 I am still a non-smoker after a month.
 I take my vitamins every morning.
 My fingernails are finally all one length.
Okay, that last point has nothing to do with getting healthy.

Here's our dog, Shadow, doing his Hell Hound impression:
He's just winding down from a "Speak!" command.




* Actually, my mind is often that gutter too. My husband likes that about me. It's why the Hag is (mostly) Happy:)

2 comments:

  1. Oh that post you refer back to - I knew it was going to be good. Whenever you have a character that sports any wonky thing - you are in for it!

    When the remodeling crew was in our house I walked through a giant spider web and let out such a blood curdling scream and thrashed about so wildly that I caused the drywall guy to wrench his back badly enough that we had work stalled for a week. I gave him every pill I had in the house and cooked for him begging him to get well.

    Shadow looks like he is winding down off a sumpthin!

    Most importantly, big congratulatory hug for not smoking for a month. Chantix eh? I wonder if hubs mom might consider chantix. She needs to quit for surgery.

    Prepreg. pants are probably high risers anyway. Time to forget those and get some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miz. Munch, I'm getting a second wave of giggles thinking about the Taco Guy, and now the Spider Web Story ~ Har!

    You are probably right about those jeans. They are Gap jeans ~ remember when we all bought our pants there? "Fall into the Gap"

    Yeah, I owe it all to Chantrix because we all know how strong my will power is ~ snort!

    ReplyDelete